Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a monument of Ukrainian folk wooden architecture of the 17th century, located in the historic Male Peredmistya (small suburb) of Yavoriv. The monument is famous for its architecture, refinement of forms and proportions, surrounded by wide roof. It belongs to the community of the UGCC (Ukrainian Greek – Catholic Church).
Historically, the church has something to boast. The foundation permit for the construction of the church in 1670 was issued by the Polish King Michael Korybut-Vishnevetsky, and later its rights were confirmed by Jan Sobieski III and August II. In 1939 the church was through an expansion project led by the architect Yevheniy Nahirnyy. From 1960 to 1989 the church was used as a granary.
The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is small in size (even after enlargement in 1939 its dimensions are 14.8 x 14.3 m). Near the church is a wooden two-tier bell tower (built in 1670) with a large arched gallery on the second tier, that recollects the style of the defensive towers of the 17th -18th centuries. Its size is 4.3 x 4.3 m. The church also preserved the four-tiered carved iconostas of 1671. However, it is completely repainted.
Historical and Ethnographic Museum “Yavorivshchyna”
The historical and ethnographic museum “Yavorivshchyna” is a traditional urban cultural center preserving a collection of materials and objects from history, culture and outstanding personalities of the Yavoriv district.
The museum is located in an historic remarkable house at the address of 31 Lvivska street. You may visit this museum daily on weekdays, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with a break for lunch between 13 and 14; days off are Saturday and Monday.
The historical and ethnographic museum “Yavorivshchyna” have more than 600 exhibits. The museum exposition is located in four rooms and is conditionally divided into sections: “Spinning and Weaving”, “Things for Household Purposes”, “Ancient Yavoriv Clothing”, “Folk Crafts of Yavorivshchyna” and “Archaeological Sites and Numismatics.”
The exhibition of Volodymyr Patyk’s works “Wooden Churches of Yavoriv Region” has artistic value. The museum is constantly exhibiting the best works of students of the Michael Verbitsky School of Arts.
Gymnasium “Ridna Shkola”
In the second half of the 19th century, a well-known linguist, Yosyp Lozynsky, demanded that the authorities establish a Ukrainian gymnasium in Yavoriv. In 1908, activists of the town under the leadership of Ivan Zagayevich realized his idea by opening a private Ukrainian gymnasium in the reading room of “Prosvita”. 45 students studied there in their native language.
In 1916, the gymnasium moved to a newly built two-storey building. Funds for the construction came from the town’s community, a loan from the Land Bank, donations from Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky and the bishop of Przemyśl Kostyantyn Chekhovych. In 1921 the gymnasium became a state school and in 1928 it was named after Osyp Makovey. In 1957 a monument to Osyp Makovey was erected in front of the building. Later in 1992 it was moved at the museum on the writer’s estate and a new bronze bust was installed on the renovated pedestal. In 1991and 1992 Ivan Drach, Dmytro Pavlychko, Roman Lubkivsky and Oles Honchar visited the gymnasium. They performed in front of the students and teachers. Each of them planted a guelder rose in the park near the monument to Osyp Makovey.
Church of the Saints Peter and Paul
Yavoriv`s Roman – Catholic Church of the Apostles Sts. Peter and Paul was built in the 1640s. The building was financed by Pylyp Rykovski. The church looks modest and utilitarian.
In 1682 the church was consecrated by Yatsyk Siyentsytsky, a Latin bishop in Holm. In 1807, during the reconstruction of the church, a small tower that decorated the pediment of the church was built.
During the Soviet period, the church was used as factory storage and was gradually collapsing. The church was returned to believers in 1990. A new bell tower was built in 1994 and three new bells were bought the same year. In 2012 a monument to Pop John Paul II was installed in the yard of the church.
Rynok Square I the construction of the defensive type of 18th century. A lot of monuments are located on the square including the monument to Michael Verbitsky (composer of the melody of the State Anthem, dedicated in 1997 and until recently the only monument of Verbitsky in Ukraine), to Andrey Sheptytsky (an outstanding religious and public figure, dedicated in 1996) and to Taras Shevchenko (a national genius, also dedicated in 1996).
Yavoriv People’s House
Yavoriv People’s House is the main cultural institution of Yavoriv. It has glorious historical and cultural traditions. It is located in a historic building in the center of Yavoriv – on Rynok Square.
The idea of constructing the People’s House in Yavoriv arose in 1905 when it was decided at the educational and economic assembly of the Yavoriv Branch of the “Prosvita” Society to raise funds for the purchase of the area on which the People’s House now stands. However, there is no mention of the General Meeting of the Branch prior to 1907. Only in 1908 there is a message about the national holiday in Yavoriv, which took place on May 22. On that day the “the corner-stone ” under the “People’s House” was blessed following worship in the church. It was designed as a “Ruska credit company”. In the summer of 1908 the building of Yavoriv People’s House was finally built – it cost 30 thousand crowns.
During its history many plays, concerts and performances of local and foreign artists, dancers, singers and vocalists were staged and shown in the Yavoriv People’s House. They were known not only in Yavorivshchyna, the Lviv region and Ukraine, but also abroad,
Church of St.Yuriy
The bricked five-dome Ukrainian Greek – Catholic church was built in place of a wooden one under the supervision of a famous architect Vasyl Nahirny . The project of the new five-dome church was ready in the year of 1899 and was based on the image of St. Sophia Cathedral in Istanbul. The church was built from 1899 to 1902 by Viennese and local masters. The treasure of the church is a miraculous icon of the Mother of God, transferred in 1795 from the monastery of Holy Trinity in Lisok Chernilyavsky. There is a wooden bell tower (1764) in the churchyard, which is a monument of architecture.
Yavoriv Town Hall
Yavoriv town hall is located to the north of the central square, at 16, Lvivska street. The town hall is erected on the corner of two streets. It is a two-storey “Г”-shaped building. The town hall tower is angular (an uncommon architectural feature). There is a clock with four dials on the tower.
The city had a need to build a fire tower. For some time it was wooden and several times it was devastated by fire (the last fire in the city was in 1790).
In 1882, funds were allocated for the construction of the town hall. The height of the town hall tower of 18 meters was enough to continue to be used as a fire tower. An educational institution with Polish as the language of instruction began its activities in the adjoining rooms.
After 1939, excluding the period of the Second World War, a Ukrainian male school functioned there. From 1954 till today it is home to a Yavoriv Secondary School № 2.
Osyp Makovey Museum
Osyp Makovey Museum is a literary-biographical museum in Yavoriv dedicated to the life and work of the Ukrainian poet, prose writer, critic, literary critic, translator, editor of many periodicals, teacher and political activist Osyp Stepanovich Makovey (1867-1925 ). He was a native of Yavoriv. The museum functions in the house in which he was born, lived and worked as a writer.
The address of the museum institution is the following: 9, Kobrynska street, Yavoriv (Lviv region), Ukraine. The museum is open daily from 9 a.m to 7 p.m.
The exposition of the Osyp Makovey Museum in Yavoriv is located in two rooms and a hallway. In one room the things of Makovey family have been collected, in particular furniture (armchairs, sofa, table), dishes, embroidered clothes, toys and in the other room are photos of Osyp with family and friends, his letters, books, portraits. In the hallway there are household items.
Yavoriv’s Underground Passage
Yavoriv’s underground passage dates back to the time of the royal past. During the reign of Yan Sobieski the underground passage ran from the royal residence to Male Peredmistya (small suburb). The underground passage still exists and its entrance is located in the yard of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The tunnel is made of stone and brick, with numerous niches on both side, has height of up to 2 m.
There is a legend that royal treasures are hidden in the underground passage. Yan Sobieski was so wealthy that he lent 3 million gold coins to the state treasury and received as a collaterala historic treasures of the Commonwealth (the dual Polish-Lithuanian state). He kept these treasures in the Yavoriv Castle. After the death of the king, his servants hid treasures in the underground passage of Yavoriv. Perhaps in the future treasure hunters will find them in the underground passage.
Museum of Military History of Yavoriv District
The Yavorivshchyna Museum of Military History was established in 2015 by representatives of the Yavoriv Union of War Veterans in Afghanistan. The exposition contains personal belongings of the veterans, their letters to their relatives, photos sent from Afghanistan and letters from military headquarters. Personal things, such as weapons, military equipment and maps are also very significant. In a separate exposition you can find materials which acquaint visitors with participants of military operations who live in Yavoriv District. In addition, the museum exhibits things related to the events of Maidan and the Ukrainian – Russian War.
The museum runs from Tuesday to Saturday from 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Address: 22, Lvivska street, Yavoriv.